Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

John Stezaker

John Stezaker was born in 1949 and he is an English conceptual artist. He takes a photo, normally of people and then he gets another photo from the Internet. He then puts one photo on top of the photo he has taken to combine them.

He would get the photo on top and line it up with the photo behind it to make it look as if they are one photo. In this photo the eyebrow, nose, lips, hair and the eyes are all lined up. This makes the two people look as if they are one but we can tell they aren't because one is a man and one is a woman. There is also a colour difference because the man's photo is black and white but the woman's photo is in colour.

This photo is good because mos of the peoples features are lined up very well. The image works better when it is far away from the viewer because then the viewer can't see the small details of the disjointedness. I like this photo because the people are lined up very well so that when I first glanced at the picture, I thought that they wer one person because I didn't have time to look at the small detail in the disjointedness.
 
In this photo we can See the whole of the picture on top. This means we can see that John has had to rotate the image to get it in line with the photo behind it. I don't think this photo works very well because the head of the two people combined makes the chin look abnormally small. This makes the disjointed effect in the photo really stand out.

I like this idea because it is very unique and original, I have never seen this done before. I also like it because it engages the viewer by them looking closely at the photos to see how they join.

My Experiment
For this experiment I used a portrait of myself and searched on the Internet for a portrait of a woman. When I got the photo of the woman, I cut some of it off so that it would fit my portrait. Here is a photo of my portrait that I used.


 The point in this project was to see if I could manipulate my face to look as if the woman's face could join to my portrait.
 In these photos I cut out a part of a woman's face and then put it on top of my portrait. I cut the woman's face so that I could line her features with mine so it looks like we are the same person. I also cut the photos out so that the frame of the woman's face could be seen.

I enjoyed doing this project because it was funny to see what i looked like when I had part of a woman's face on my face. I also liked it because it can happen with any two people. Even if like in this photo the eyes aren't pointing the same way, it still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment