Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Arnulf Rainer

Arnulf Rainer is an Australian painter and is known for his abstract art. He was born in 1929. He would take a portrait photo of different people with different facial expressions and then print them off. He then draw over the photo manipulating it.

This photo is a person with his tongue stuck out but Arnulf has manipulated it by drawing over the photo making the person look different. His ideas of what he draws are very unique.

I like this idea because there are loads of possibilities of what we can do to the photos and so anyone can have a go at doing it with their original ideas.

My Experiment
This is the photo that I was experimenting on. I used the same photos throughout the experiment so that they could be compared. I did this experiment because I was trying to explore what worked happen to the photos and how they could be manipulated y different materials. 

 For this photo I tried to make the connection with the photo that Arnulf Rainer did when he drew over the guy with his tongue sticking out.
 In this photo I used a red pen and some bubbles. I tried to make myself look like Santa by putting the bubbles on the hat and I tried to make the bubbles on the chin a beard. The bubbles were very hard to work with because it was hard to separate them into a small cluster of bubbles. When I then put the bubbles on top of the photo, they would start popping. Another problem was that the water in the bubbles were making the ink on the photo run. I eventually got everything into place and quickly took a photo. I could only take one because the bubbles had popped after I had taken it. The bubbles give this photo texture and form, this adds value to the photo.
 In this photo I used a red pen and a black pen. I tried to draw on the photo with a pencil, however, it couldn't be seen and so I had to use a permanent marker pen. This meant that if I made a mistake then I wouldn't be able to use the photo. In this photo I tried to make myself look like Harry Potter. I did this because I wanted to see if I could manipulate my photo using red and black pens to make me look like Harry Potter.

I enjoyed doing this project because I had a lot of ideas for what I should make myself. I also liked using the different materials because then we could compare the photos and see the differences and the things which were the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment