Pages

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Sophie Calle inspired investigation

For this project I went to the beach. Because it was a hot day there were lots of people there. This meant that I could find any type of person or people that I wanted to follow and then I could blend in with the rest of the crowd. This is great because the people that I would follow wouldn't know that I was taking photos of them giving me the desired effect of the project. Another good thing about there being lots of people around was that they created lots of noise and so the people who I was going to follow wouldn't hear me taking the photo and so they wouldn't know they were being followed. If the people I was following knew that  I was taking photos of them and following them they would react differently and  so the project would be ruined. There wouldn't be the natural feeling of them because they would pose for the camera.
 Here is a picture of the beach and some of the people there. On the right there is a path which I went a long to find, follow and photograph random people. I started at the top of the path and then found two people who were walking just in front of me and so I decided I will follow them and take pictures of them.


These people were great to photograph because they were walking slowly and so I could pace myself at their speed going behind them. This meant that I could follow behind them at a safe distance so that I could take a photo without them hearing me because of the distance and that they wouldn't notice me following them.
 While I was following them I tried to take as many photos as possible of their movements and where they went. It was hard to photograph them because they were moving and so to keep up with them I had to take photos while I was moving. This meant that some pictures would turn out at a bad angle. Another reason that it was a bad angle was because I couldn't look through the viewfinder or at the screen because my camera doesn't have that setting. I didn't do this because it would have made it obvious that I was taking a photo.

I tried to follow them for as long as I could to see where they went but all they did was walk. So I went away to see if there was anyone else better to photograph. so I went to follow a different starting point which was to follow a photographer and see what they took photos of. However, the couple from before came back again but walking in the opposite direction so I thought I would follow them again to see what they would do.
We followed them for a couple of minutes to see what they would do but all that happened was the man took his top off and so I photographed it. These are the photos.








In some of the photos I didn't know how much or how little I should zoom in because I didn't was to look like I was taking a photo. This meant that some photos would be zoomed in too much and some would be zoomed out too much. To make sure that they didn't hear me taking a photo, I pretended to sneeze or cough as I took the photo.

I enjoyed this project because it made me think of how easy it is for someone to take pictures of you and follow you without you knowing. I enjoyed doing this project because I liked seeing what normal people do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment